Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Ode to Domino

About 6 months ago my sister recommended a book to me that she was absolutely in love with. It was called Domino: The Book of Decorating. Being an art and design major for 4.5 years, I've seen a lot of great books for design but nothing quite like this. This book is so different from the rest because it is for anyone interested in making their home a place they love and actually shows you step by step how to do it. It is all about your personal style and filling your home with what you love, not so much what the current trends are. I spent this afternoon paging through it, falling in love all over again.

One of the first steps the book recommends is to compile pictures in a file of anything you love (a piece of furniture, a color, or a photo). Basically anything that you want to see in your home or anything that you find inspiring. I have been trying to do this over the last few months keeping in mind we will be moving again and I will have another opportunity to make a new space my own. I particularly focus on magazines, but also use images from the internet and photos of my own. I plan to keep up this collection until we move, then I will move on to the next step of putting rooms together and hunting for new pieces to complete each room.

The book gives great examples of all of the rooms in a home in a variety of unique styles. Some of the rooms I don't love, but others I would like to cut and paste into my own home. The book encourages spaces that are timeless, pulling pieces from different time eras and combining them in ways one would never think of. I have to say the book is worth picking up if you are at all interested in home decorating.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home